Monday, May 9, 2011

FEATURED PERSON OF THE WEEK: Dyna Moe


When the blogs are blowing up with Dyna Moe’s illustration of Hipster Animals, we knew that we had to find out ourselves the idea behind her latest work posted on Tumblr. You may remember Dyna for her drawings of Mad Men Yourself, but her latest series featuring animals-stereotyped hipster made us laughed so hard because deep down we feel that these animals may very well be our Brooklynites PBR-drinking buddies. We have to say that Dyna is almost, if not entirely, accurate on the clichés of hipster animals. I think I might have shared a seat with the etsy crafter (The Owl) who is carrying her handmade-quilt patchwork purse and a paperbag that says “beads.com” on the L back to Brooklyn today.

Whether you think you know the real-life version of these animals or not, you can’t deny that you’ll certainly come across them hanging around the neighborhood of Williamsburg or downtown Manhattan. And it all goes to say - Dyna Moe proved her point. 

We are happy Dyna took the time to answer some of the questions we have for her. Take a look at them as Dyna tells us that her mum makes her summer dresses and not to date any drug addicts animals of any kind. We hear you Dyna and we couldn't agree more on that.


On Hipster Animals
What is your inspiration or story behind the illustration of "Hipster Animals"?  
Dyna:I was looking at Richard Scarry's children's books like "Best Word Book Ever" and "What Do People Do All Day," which feature cartoon animals in human clothes living in cities with useful words labeled.
There's a big section in the former that lists professions like "fireman" or "baker" and I was thinking how very few people I know could say what they do that easily since everyone's either quasi-employed artsy types or doing some weird white collar office tech job that didn't exist in 1963 when Best Word Book Ever came out. So, hipster animals was an attempt to bridge the gap.


Do you happen to be friends with any of the characters that you mentioned and how do you feel about them? 
D:Are any of the hipster animals based on specific people? Not yet, but I probably may start doing that in the future.

Which character is your favorite one and why? 
D:I'm doing a new one every day, so the newest one is my favorite. At the moment, I like the multimedia narcissist deer. I think he may be the most universal one based on how many [hearts] and reblogs he's gotten on tumblr. He's a great dresser and has good color sense.

If you have to choose any of the character, whom would you date and hate to date. Why?
 
D:The guy I'm dating has requested to be a shrimp, so he may be in there in the future as soon as I can figure out how to put 10 legs in a plaid shirt. I've dated that part-time barista cat a couple times, but never ever date freelance party photographer bears covered in cocaine.Don't date any drug addict animals of any kind.

How do you feel about the whole hipster sub-culture and their lifestyle? It has brought to people's attention that there is a new interesting generation of people looking and wearing all the same riding the L train back to their Brooklyn lofts. What do you feel/think about this sub-culture? Would you consider yourself as one of them? If yes, why?
 
D:I think "hipster" means different things to different people and has become a catch-all term for anyone the speaker finds annoying. There's always been a group of semi-employed post-college age schmucks living in cities, this is just the iteration of it. No hipster admits to being a hipster so if I say I am then I'm not. So I am.

On Work
You are also a comedian besides doing illustration and graphic design. Which one comes first and what is has been your most outstanding work so far?
 
D:I prefer comedy, but I'm better known as an illustrator to the wider world and it pays more of my bills. I'm best known for my illustrations for the TV show "Mad Men" -- I did the art for the Mad Men Yourself avatar maker and wrote/illustrated the book "Mad Men The Illustrated World." I also designed characters for the Marc Jacobs website, which I think are still there. As a comedian, I'm a longtime performer and teacher at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre and I co-created the show "Welcome to my Study" which was a segment on HBO's Funny or Die Presents last season.

What are you working on right now and what are your future plans?
 
D:I'm developing a couple animated shows and working on book pitches. And day to day, scraping for paid work for rent money like everyone else.

On New York City and Fashion

What's your favorite neighborhood that we can always find you?
 
D:I live in the East Village and have for the better part of the last ten years. I'm lazy, so I'll probably be here, near my apartment.

How would you spend your days off in New York?
 
D:I don't get any days off, unfortunately... that's the downside of being self-employed. I do like to sneak out and eat in Chinatown when I can.

So Dyna, what are you wearing today?
 
D:Now that it's nice out, I can wear sundresses again. My mom makes my summer clothes. She still does. Sundress, knee socks, and a cardigan. I'll end up as a hipster animal when I run out of everyone else in the world and that's what I'll be wearing.





Dyna's Hipster Animals

We can't stop laughing this one - the trust fund asshole PBR and red skinnies.











Story and editing by Pearly Wong
 Post made possible by our sponsor JAI YOGA ARTS. New students FIRST CLASS just $5  SECOND CLASS FREE!  (within the same week). That's two top quality yoga classes for just $5!! Offer ends May 31st

CLICK BELOW TO READ OLDER POSTS